Music Etcetera

This blog is about my music interests and other things that command my attention from time to time.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Everything You Need to Know about Wagner ...

Anna Russell, who passed away at age 94 in October 2006, was a musical parodist and composer of such memorable songs as "Don Bonzo Alfonzo the Matador (with Castanets)," "I'd be a Red-Hot Mama if I hadn't got these Varicose Veins," and the aria, "Ah, Lover," from the mythical operetta "The Prince of Philadelphia, For Singers with Tremendous Artistry but no Voice," with a German lied, "Schlumpf," and a French chanson, "Je n'ai pas la plume de ma tante." In one of her famous skits, she told us everything we need to know about Wagner's Ring Cycle of operas:



The skit continued:



And then:



Is there anyone on the music scene today quite like the late, lamented Anna Russell. I don't think so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home